Let's talk about some thoughts that have been racing my mind

Hellloooo!


I've just had several thoughts that had been racing my mind and .. yeah.

Well, A lot of thoughts had been racing my mind but here are a few:

1.Gender Inequality in Cambodia can still be seen.. and this makes me sad. It also makes me question EVERY single time I get in the car.

"Why does the inequality exist?"
After all the times I took to ponder on this question, I have arrived to answer: CULTURE.
It's the culture that shapes the people's way of thinking and behaving. It has always been in Khmer culture for the women to have to stay home, cook, clean, raise babies. Guys has had it easier.

"How do we stop the issue?"
This is hard. It is hard because stopping the issue means having to change people's ways of thinking and behaving and THAT is HARD. When it comes to culture, there is no line drawn between the right and wrong. No one can say anything is wrong if it is accepted by the culture. This, is where religion comes into play. I believe religion can provide a common definition for what is right to groups of people from different cultures.

2. CCF and Steung Mean Chey

I just got back from a tour of Steung Mean Chey dumping site and Cambodian Children's Fund today. It was unbelievable to even think such place exists in the City. For this whole time, I have been blinded by the luxury being found within the central of Phnom Penh. The poor, I realized, were often forced to move out so that they do not "block the good views." These people were living with <75 cents per day.

I also felt grateful for Scott Neeson and for his organization that has helped over 2000 children. I cannot wait to be a part of it!

*I am currently a volunteer in the CYLD program teaching human rights, civil laws, gender roles..etc

3. This Child who slightly touched me on the arm, smiled and left.
As I was touring, a girl around 8 did this. I had never seen a smile so genuine, nor eyes that were so soft. The girl looked happy to finally have the opportunity to go to school. She also looked as if grateful for me (as a volunteer).

I now refer to the look as the "powerful look" because it had somehow given me an invisible strength to carry on what I was doing. It gave me a sense of comfort, admiration for the job. It got me to appreciate the service. Last but not least, it made the whole situation feel right.

Thank you, little girl :)



I wrote this really fast, so I apologize for typos and grammatical mistakes!
Neath

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cansbridge Fellowship - reflections and job search

CIMB ASEAN Scholarship - Khmer

What about my PASSIONS? Here's how I have been trying to maintain them!